The UN on Monday said a new round of peace talks between Libya’s warring factions aimed at ending months of violence and political deadlock would be postponed until next week.
The world body’s mission to Libya (UNSMIL) said last week that it planned to broker new negotiations beginning on Tuesday.
But just a day before the talks were due to begin, neither the participants nor the location of talks had been announced.
A member of pro-government Libyan forces fires from the top of an armed vehicle during an attack on districts held by Islamist militias on November 3, 2014 around the port of Benghazi ©Mohamed El-Sheikhi (AFP/File)
UNSMIL envoy Bernardino Leon said at a press conference in Tripoli they now hoped to start the dialogue “next week”, citing the need for the different parties to have more time to work out details.
In last week’s statement, the UN mission said the main objective of the dialogue was “to reach agreement on the management of the remainder of the transitional period, until such time that a new permanent constitution is adopted”.
“Discussions will focus on finding consensual solutions to the on-going institutional crisis in the country,” it said, without specifying who would attend.
More than three years after dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled and killed in a NATO-backed revolt, the country is awash with weapons and powerful militias, and has rival governments and parliaments.
Fierce clashes persist in second city Benghazi and west of the capital Tripoli between forces loyal to the internationally recognised government and a rebel group of mainly Islamist militias.
A previous attempt to arrange UN-brokered talks between the warring factions in June was unsuccessful.
Share or comment on this article
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.