FOREIGNERS working in private sector companies and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in South Sudan are likely to lose their jobs soon after the country’s Labour minister last week gazetted an order to stop employment of aliens.
South Sudan Labour, Public Service and Human Resources Development minister Ngor Kolong Ngor issued the ministerial directive last week giving companies until October 15 2014 to terminate all foreigners’ employment contracts.
Ngor’s circular published in the Citizen’s issue of September 13 2014 reads: “All NGOs, private companies in general, banks, insurance companies, petroleum companies, hotels and lodges working in South Sudan are directed to notify all aliens working in them in all the positions to cease working on October 15 2014 forthwith.”
The circular says the affected positions include executive directors, personnel managers, secretaries, human resource officers, public relations officers, procurement officers, front desk officers, protocol officers and receptionists.
“Through the Office of the Director-General Labour in the ministry, all of these posts here have to be filled by South Sudanese nationals,” the circular reads.
There are scores of Zimbabweans working in the oil-rich South Sudan with the majority believed to be working for United Nations organisations and in the private sector.
The number of affected individuals and their nationalities could not be ascertained as efforts to get a comment from the South Sudanese embassy in Harare were futile.
Zimbabwe’s Foreign Affairs secretary Joey Bimha yesterday said government was not aware of the development.
“I am not aware of that information at the moment and I have to find out first,” Bimha said.