Egypt is preparing a list of young detainees who were wrongly arrested or detained over minor charges to release them before the fourth anniversary of the January 25 uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak, President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi has said.
The list of detainees, including activists, journalists and bloggers is currently being revised by responsible entities in order to release them during the revolution anniversary, Sisi said during his two-day visit to the UAE yesterday,
He said the list, being prepared by the interior ministry, includes all cases presented by the media as well as Egyptian organisations.
Two of the detainees being considered for are young men serving three-year sentences for attempting to overthrow former President Mohamed Morsi, Ahramonline reported.
He said the country was giving special consideration to youth and is not “targeting” young people.
“On the contrary, I don’t hesitate to select youth for official positions, as I’ve found them more daring, enthusiastic and able to work,” Sisi said.
The announcement has come after Sisi asked political party representatives last week to make a list of youths who were unjustly arrested.
“This issue has been under study but the decision delayed,” he said.
Earlier, the President said during an interview with Sky News had said that there were no “political” detainees in Egypt.
Thousands of pro-Morsi and Muslim Brotherhood members have been rounded up and put on trial since the army deposed the Islamist leader in 2013 following massive street protests against his rule.
He was also charged with spying and handing documents of national security to foreign intelligence.
He has not been sentenced in any case so far.